Spotify is one of the most used and common streaming services, with millions of available songs, artists, albums. You can listen to Spotify for free on Alexa if you have an Amazon device, without having to have a premium account paying for it. With restrictions but with a lot of advantages.
Amazon Echo speakers from Amazon allow us to ask for what we want and for the smart device to offer it to us at the moment, ask what time it is, ask how much traffic there is or how long it takes us to go home or work. But you can also activate Spotify in Alexa thanks to the fact that both companies have joined forces so you don’t need to have Spotify Premium if you want to listen to your music.
That allows us?
Until very recently, if you didn’t have Spotify Premium (and you paid for it) you had no right to use Alexa. You could not use it with a Free subscription. But Amazon and Spotify have teamed up for this to be allowed and you won’t need to pay to be able to listen to the music on the Amazon Echo smart speaker.
There are things that will not allow us, since it will continue if it is a premium account. I mean … You will not be able to ask for a specific song because a playlist with that name will start playing but not the song or the specific song. Yes you can ask for a specific group or an artist and it will randomly play their songs.
How to link them
The first thing you will need is:
- Have a Spotify account, even if it’s free
- Have an Alexa account and an Echo device
- Enable the Spotify skill
- Link Spotify account to Alexa account
Create a Spotify account
The first and foremost thing is to create a Spotify account. Remember that it is a free account and you do not have to go premium but you do have to have your data registered.
- Go to the Spotify website
- Tap on Get Spotify Free
- Fill with your data
- Email confirmation
- Name of profile
- Date of birth
Once you have the Spotify account, you will have to enable Skill in your Alexa application, link both accounts and you can start listening.
Link Spotify to Alexa
- Open the Alexa app
- Go to the menu by clicking on the lines in the upper left corner
- Tap on Skills and games
- Click on the magnifying glass and search for Spotify
- You will see the streaming service appear to activate
- Tap on the Allow use button
- Once you have it, tap on Settings
- Sign in with the Spotify account you just created
- Accept app permissions
- It would already be configured
Spotify with Alexa
Commands to enjoy Spotify
Once you have it, you can ask it to play what you want as long as it is not a specific song. Yes, you can ask for playlists. It will depend on what you want you to say one phrase or another. For example:
- Alexa, put on some music. If you want to listen to Spotify and you don’t care what.
- Alexa, put * Playlist *. If you want to listen to a playlist.
- Alexa, put * DiscName * if you want to listen to a specific album.
For example, you can ask him to play Iron Maiden. But you won’t be able to tell it to play a specific song unless you have a Spotify Premium account. You can also ask him for playlists, etc.