Fury is hoping to fight by summer and again before the end of the year after spending more than a year inactive
WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury wants to face Anthony Joshua in a bout to unify every recognized heavyweight world title, and he wants it in 2021. Whether the bout happens or not, however, Fury said he will step into the boxing ring twice during the year as he looks to increase his activity.
Fury is coming off a knockout victory over Dontay Wilder in their February 2020 rematch. There was a guaranteed rematch clause built in for the fight and Wilder initiated the clause, but when the trilogy fight didn’t come together quickly enough, Fury moved on to targeting the unification fight with Joshua. The situation, along with the COVID-19 pandemic, has kept Fury out of the ring for more than a year, something the champion expressed issues with in an interview with ESPN.
Event: 12 rounds contest @ Heavyweight
Time and Date:
Summer 2021 Potentially
Venue: Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom
Boxer: Joshua vs Tyson Fury
TV : U.S. and globally: DAZN
Even with the time out of the ring and with complications delaying the bout with Joshua from being made official, Fury is holding out hope to have a summer clash for all the belts.
“They’ve had a full year to try and make this fight happen,” Fury said. “Since the last Wilder fight, even before the Wilder fight, they were talking about a fight potentially between me and Joshua. They’ve had a full year to make something happen, and it hasn’t happened as of yet. It is what it is. We’re no further forward today than we were a year ago. The way [COVID-19] is at the moment, I don’t think [negotiations] got much to do with the fighters. It’s to do with the venue, date, place, site fees. It’s to do with everything but the fight itself.”
Joshua rebounded from a stunning June 2019 upset loss to Andy Ruiz Jr. by dominating Ruiz in their December 2019 rematch, regaining the WBA, IBF and WBO heavyweight titles. He fought once in 2020, easily handling Kubrat Pulev before scoring a knockout in the ninth round of their December bout.
Whether the two sides are able to make the fight with Joshua happen or not, Fury wants to end his inactivity and step into the ring multiple times in 2021, with a late spring or early summer date before one more fight to close the year.
“If that fight doesn’t happen this summer, it’s got to happen sooner or later,” Fury said. “But Top Rank has to give me two fights this year. I will fight two times on ESPN. I don’t care who it is. If it’s not Joshua, we’re looking to fight in April or early May, and the end of the year. If it is Joshua, then June and the end of the year. Bang, bang. So, 2021 is looking bright.”
Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury preview
When is Joshua vs Fury?
Anthony Joshua could potentially square off against Tyson Fury in Summer 2021 at Wembley Stadium in London.
The fight would be scheduled for 12 rounds in the Heavyweight division, which means there would be no weight limit.
Joshua vs Fury stats
Anthony Joshua would step into the ring with a record of 24 wins, 1 loss and 0 draws, 22 of those wins coming by the way of knock out.
Tyson Fury would make his way to the ring with an unblemished record of 30 wins and 1 draw, with 21 of those by knock out.
The stats suggest Joshua would have a large advantage in power over Fury, boosting at 92% knock out percentage over Fury’s 70%.
Anthony Joshua is the younger man by 1 year, at 31 years old.
Fury has a height advantage of 3 inches over Joshua. This also extends to a 3-inch reach advantage.
Both Anthony Joshua & Tyson Fury fight out of an orthodox stance.
Joshua is currently the less experienced professional fighter, having had 6 less fights, and made his debut in 2013, 4 year and 9 months later than Fury, whose first professional fight was in 2008. He has fought 81 less professional rounds, 112 to Fury’s 193.
Anthony Joshua goes into the fight ranked number 1 by the RING at heavyweight.
Joshua has beaten 4 of his last 5 opponents, stopping 2 of them, going the distance twice.
In his last fight, he defeated Kubrat Pulev on 12th December 2020 by knockout in the 9th round in their WBA Super World Heavyweight, WBO World Heavyweight and IBF World Heavyweight championship fight at Wembley Arena, London, United Kingdom.
Previous to that, he had defeated Andy Ruiz Jr on 7th December 2019 by unanimous decision in their IBF World Heavyweight, WBA Super World Heavyweight and WBO World Heavyweight championship fight at Diriyah Arena, Diriyah, Saudi Arabia.
Going into that contest, he had been beaten by Andy Ruiz Jr on 1st June 2019 by technical knockout in the 7th round in their WBA Super World Heavyweight, IBF World Heavyweight and WBO World Heavyweight championship fight at Madison Square Garden, New York, United States.
Before that, he had beat Alexander Povetkin on 22nd September 2018 by technical knockout in the 7th round in their IBF World Heavyweight, WBA Super World Heavyweight and WBO World Heavyweight championship fight at Wembley Stadium, London, United Kingdom.
He had won against Joseph Parker on 31st March 2018 by unanimous decision in their IBF World Heavyweight, WBA Super World Heavyweight and WBO World Heavyweight championship fight at Principality Stadium, Cardiff.
Fury remains undefeated as a professional, stopping 2 of his last 5 opponents.
In his last fight, he beat Deontay Wilder on 22nd February 2020 by technical knockout in the 7th round in their WBC World Heavyweight and The Ring Heavyweight championship fight at MGM Grand, Las Vegas, United States.
Previous to that, he had beat Otto Wallin on 14th September 2019 by unanimous decision in their 12 round contest at T-Mobile Arena, Las Vegas.
Going into that contest, he had defeated Tom Schwarz on 15th June 2019 by technical knockout in the 2nd round at MGM Grand, Las Vegas.
Before that, he had drawn with Deontay Wilder on 1st December 2018 by split draw in their 12 round contest in their WBC World Heavyweight championship fight at Staples Center, LA.
He had won against Francesco Pianeta on 18th August 2018 by points in the 10th round at Windsor Park, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.
In terms of recent activity, Tyson Fury has been fighting more than Anthony Joshua.
Anthony Joshua last fought 2 months and 13 days ago, while Tyson Fury’s last outing was 1 year and 3 days ago.
Joshua’s last 5 fights have come over a period of 2 years, 10 months and 25 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 7 months. In those fights, he fought a total of 47 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 9.4 rounds on average.
Fury’s last 5 fights have come over a period of 2 years, 6 months and 7 days, meaning he has been fighting on average every 6 months and 3 days. In those fights, he fought a total of 43 rounds, meaning that they have lasted 8.6 rounds on average.
What are the odds on Joshua vs Fury?
Tyson Fury is currently 8/15 (-188) to win the fight outright, while you can get 6/4 (+150) on Anthony Joshua if you fancy the small upset.
Joshua vs Fury betting preview
Bookmakers make Tyson Fury a favourite against Anthony Joshua in a potential future fight between the pair.
He is currently 8/15 (-188) to win the fight outright, while you can get 6/4 (+150) on Anthony Joshua if you fancy the small upset.
That means that oddsmakers think there is 63% chance of Fury winning while giving Joshua a 37% chance.
Fury opened as the favourite at 8/15 (-188).
Joshua opened at 11/8 (+138) which has shorten by -28/25 (+89).
The fight is scheduled for 12 rounds in the Heavyweight division, which means both fighters don’t have to make any weight limit.
Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury: TV deals, venues and rivalries left to overcome before superfight
Joshua vs Fury sign up offers
Bet on Joshua vs Fury
& Score A $250 Welcome Bonus!
US Players Welcome | BitCoin Support | Fast, Free Pay Outs