CARB and EPA Catalytic Converter

In the inner part of your car’s exhaust system. catalytic converter is fix. This converter reduces the certain gases and pollutants emitted from the exhaust of vehicle. Since 1975, vehicles are require catalytic converters to meet federal mandatory emission standards. Mostly states require converter to follow federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards.

 However, some states have enacted stricter standards that require the use of a CARB-compliant aftermarket catalytic converter. So as to meet the standards of the California Air Resource Board (CARB).

CARB Complaint Catalytic Converter

A CARB complaint converter is approved by the California Air Resources Board (CARB) for the sale. CARB emission are more elaborate than the EPA complaint in after market. So these require more warranty in extensive form than the EPA.

CARB-compliant catalytic converters typically use an enhanced combination of washcoat technology and higher precious metal load. To meet the stricter emissions conversions standard. A CARB-compliant converter will also have an Executive Order (EO) number/stamp on its body. The stamped number on the converter body must match the correct EO number listed on the California Air Resources Board website. So to ensure about aftermarket catalytic converters.

CARB or EP, Which One is Better?

If you need a new catalytic converter, understanding if your vehicle requires a CARB-compliant converter or an EPA-compliant converter will help ensure that you get the right part. Follow these easy steps to determine which type of catalytic converter you need.

If the repair is being made in the state of California or in the state of Colorado (Colorado beginning January 1, 2021), you must use a CARB-compliant aftermarket catalytic converter for all repairs. This is true even if the vehicle was not certified as legal for sale in the state of California. Select the appropriate part as indicated in the published Walker vehicle application data or catalog for your state.

If Use Wrong Converter

States that have mandated the use of CARB-compliant converters typically have emissions inspections that vehicles have to periodically pass. If you live in a state that requires the use of a CARB-compliant catalytic converter and you improperly install an EPA-compliant converter on your vehicle, you’ll likely fail your state’s emissions inspection. To pass the inspection, you’ll have to install a proper CARB-compliant catalytic converter.

For repairs in states that solely require EPA-compliant aftermarket catalytic converters, it is also allowable to install a CARB-compliant catalytic converter on your vehicle. The EPA has determine that all CARB-compliant aftermarket converters are automatically consider to be EPA-compliant. The only requirement is that the part is properly select based on the cataloged capacities or vehicle models listed for the part in the Walker application data or catalog.